I've been organizing my office space the last couple of days, which consists of an old desk and a small metal container with a lock door on it.
It's been the catch all spot for patching, storing dead or near dead tubes, life jackets, compressor, and various patching shit. It has been a mess.
I've been gradually pulling old tubes out and determining their status. If they have a big ol gash in them, I'm deeming them patch material and stacking them on the right side. If they're dead from an old patch that has fallen apart, but might be revived, they go on the left. In the middle in the back are about a dozen tubes to be examined, and assigned.
I'm doing this while maintaining our present stash of tubes in use across two big containers. At the end of my day I put the tubes that are not maintaining pressure in the middle, to be examined the next day.
Some tubes just have a slow leak, it might be from an old patch with a bit of air coming out, or a pinpoint hole sometimes impossible to find. Often it's best to just blow them up hard and send them out on the creek for a 2.5 hour run. They'll hold up.
My boss Ricky just dropped by two boxes of new tubes. Fortunately I had space in the new office to store them. I asked our driver Rocco, who really runs the outside show, if we had room for new tubes. He said, after putting those old blue ones into service following Saturdays rush, no.
Ok, this is the current state of affairs in the tube department, at Crockett Shoals Tubing, from the tube manager!